Saturday, December 7, 2013

Clones and Species-Being

I'm currently reading a book called Never Let Me Go, and it's about an alternative society in which there are clones of people that live their lives for the purpose of eventually donating their organs to their original versions, and this whole idea made me think of Karl Marx and the idea of species-being. This type of living - going through the motions of school and relationships all the while knowing their fates - it made me think about what Marx is trying to ward humans against, which is simply being a "slave to nature." These clones are not only losing themselves in the mindless production of objects - they are the objects. For the most part, these characters did nothing to rebel against this system they were thrust into, which I found surprising. They are clones, but they are also humans with human needs. I think the obstacle that was stopping them from fighting their fates was the fact that they didn't know they had a choice. Dare I bring Sartre into this discussion? Going back to my main point, these clones were being harvested for their organs, and these organs were going to people who would somehow use them better.  How would they use them better? I haven't finished the book yet, but my guess is that it is believed that the clones have no souls. Under that assumption, maybe the choices the clones would make would not be as ethically or socially acceptable, therefore their rights to make them should be taken away. So is it the presence of our souls that gives us the right to make decisions and live a full life? Is that part of our species-being?


No comments:

Post a Comment